mercredi 19 mars 2008

A bit about Engineers Without Borders (EWB)...


When I first found out about EWB, it was four years ago.

At that time, I was simply searching on the Internet about any international development organizations that worked in Cambodia.

And at that time, EWB just seemed to me like any other non-governmental organizations (NGOs).

When I 'second' found out about EWB, it was three years ago.

At that time, I was on the phone with a friend who had just met someone from EWB and had decided to join the chapter at his university. He was telling me all about their work and I remember hearing him say 'critical thinking', 'driving change' and 'awesome'.

When I 'third' found out about EWB, it was almost two years ago.

At that time, I was coming back from a gap year spent in Cambodia volunteering with an NGO that allowed me to see a lot of the negative sides of development. I came back with some sort of disillusionment and frustration and I did not know if I would ever work in development again. But then, I came across a booth ran by a few EWB members of the Guelph Chapter wearing bright orange shirts. The sign on their table said: "Promoting human development through access to technology".

That's EWB mission statement. EWB is in fact a non-profit organization that works to improve the livelihoods in developing communities by focusing on human development. EWB helps to build capacity within the communities and works with local partner organizations to find effective and appropriate ways to break the cycle of poverty. EWB focuses on supporting existing projects in the following rural technical sectors: water and sanitation, energy, food processing and production, and agriculture. While EWB has been working in many different countries on three continents in the past, the focus is now narrowed down to four countries in Africa: Ghana, Zambia, Malawi and Burkina Faso. Putting all the energy and resources in one area of the world allows EWB to be more effective and to seek for a more sustainable impact in the communities.

EWB does work in Canada as well. With all the learnings and experiences that the overseas volunteers bring back to Canada, EWB wants to encourage global citizenship in each individual and in our government. Awareness and lobbying campaigns, school and corporate presentations, and public outreach events are some of the things that EWB does here. You have probably heard of the Make Poverty History or the Stand Up Against Poverty campaigns, the bill c-293, the 0.7% pledge...

And as we like to say in EWB, "we hope to work ourselves out of job within our lifetime".

1 commentaire:

Emily a dit…

It's tough to stay positive when there's so much room for disillusionment. But I can completely understand why you felt the way you did.

Also, from your other post it sounds like the coffee shops were really helpful.

Overal, really thoughtful post Madavine!